Tuesday, 20 April 2010

10. Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners

I've had Straight, No Chaser on my iPod for years..., I thought that was the best Monk could come up with. I feel ashamed that I'd not made the effort to discover this brilliant, but often challenging album from the great man.

Opening with a dischordant vamp and continuing with jazz solos verging on the incomprehensible, this album flicks in and out of a groove which kicks, and immense bursts of creativity on keys.

Pannonica marks a distinct departure from any Monk I've ever heard before, blending the marimba, the xylophone, and the glockenspiel in tandem with a soulful tenor sax. Probably the only time I've ever heard this to good effect (I've heard it plenty of times when it hasn't worked!)

Worth a listen if you can handle improv that doesn't seem like it has a direction, but then brings you back into the fold with a great big hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment